Sunday, June 28, 2009

Redesign: The Green and White Chinoiserie Desk

I have a quaint little fold-top desk that has been with me since childhood. A writer must have a desk, however small, and this one has followed me like a devoted little dog through a series of apartments and houses, frequently squeezed into awkward corners, dragged up stairs, or stuffed in the back of my SUV. My faithful desk needs a face lift, and I've decided to do it in green and white chinoiserie. 
It may look average now - but wait till we're through!

THE PROJECT
1. Replace the handles and knob with brushed brass bamboo hardware.
2. Decoupage the interior of the desktop in a green and white trellis paper.
3. Paint the foot and crown of the desk in a green matching the paper.
4. Fill it with beautiful things!

THE PIECES
A few favorite items I'd like to use in my re-design (clockwise):  
1. Thomas Paul crysanthymum pillow. 
2. Iomoi personalized paperweight. 
3. Brushed brass faux bamboo hardware. 
4. and 6. Iomoi pencils. 
5. Jasper Conran for Wedgwood china (for paper clips and odds and ends). 
6. Lucite green and white chinoiserie tray, by Iomoi. 
Green and White Chinoiserie

A Jonathan Adler chippendale style faux bamboo chair, accented with a Thomas Paul pillow. While I'm concentrating on renovating the desk right now, a new coordinating chair is in the future. I may get a green version instead of white - Adler makes both!
Bamboo Chair

A bamboo trellis pattern wallpaper I'm planning to order for the interior decoupage. I'd love to do Wearstler's Imperial Trellis (see below), but it's a bit pricy for an amateur project. I need an affordable paper available in less than a single roll, in a green and white trellis pattern. Do you have a great suggestion? Send it on!!!
THE RESULTS...  stay tuned! 

In the meantime, here's a little of my inspiration. ANY mention of chinoiserie can't overlook the stunning blog Chinoiserie Chic, the authority for this subject in the blogosphere. Check out Beth's recent post on the Blanc de Chine Office, as well as a detailed how-to on chinoiserie decoupage, with stunning results like this:
Maybe I should do filing cabinets next?

And while we're at it, here's an example of Kelly Wearstler's Imperial Trellis used in decoupage and the green Jonathan Adler chair. I'd already thought up this scheme when I stumbled on the picture, and it was nice to see how well it could come off. Here's hoping for a happy ending!

Movie Credits:  All "pieces" as listed above.  File Cabinet Photo, originally Domino via StyleCourtvia Chinoiserie Chic. Trellis Decoupage Cabinet Photo, an unknown, online find. If this is your picture, please email me so that I may give credit where credit is due!

No comments:

Post a Comment