Saturday, April 21, 2012

SANITY FAIR ON APARTMENT THERAPY

Every year Apartment Therapy hosts the Small Cool Contest - a celebration of living big in little spaces. I entered this year, and I hope you'll visit the site and "like" my place by clicking HERE! Voting continues until April 30. Want a tour? Step inside (it's a squeeze, but you'll fit, I promise).

STATS
Type:  Studio 
Downers:  425 square feet, on a good day
Upers:  light, location, and parque wood floors
Style:  Palm Beach Petite

Step into my office...
Details:  The walls are Hanging Vine by Mythic Paint. Desk from Home Decorators, with coral pulls from Anthropologie. The large carved bamboo mirror is a thrift store find I painted up to match the desk, and the picture frames are all vintage pieces I grouped together and painted to give the appearance of a matched set. The chair is Ballard Designs and the cushion is Python by Premier Prints. On the desk is a Crate and Barrel gourd lamp, Target tray, and random other bits from vintage stores. Nearby is a Chinese garden stool from World Market. My favorite thing about the space are the photos; I printed out my pictures in black and white and had custom mats done to give them uniformity. 

A close-up of the desk.

Turn around, and you're standing in the living room...
Details:  As small as the apartment is, I didn't want "dollhouse" furniture - everything can be used in a larger home later. The credenza (scored on eBay) is full-sized, and packed to the gills. It's all about the storage! The "art" over the credenza is my 10-buck attempt at a temporary filler for the space. I painted some posterboard and mounted it in IKEA frames using acrylic paint from the craft store. The bookcase you see to the right is IKEA, used as a room divider. Framed photo, my own. More Ballard Designs side chairs, and yet another World Market Chinese garden stool, balance the couch. The barely-there lucite nesting tables make the perfect coffee table; I can eat a casual TV dinner or serve appetizers without taking up visual space. The rug is actually carpet tiles from Flor. The pillows are still works in progress - they don't match the drapes (and two of them don't even have covers). More work to be done!

One of the lucite nesting tables, piled with malachite, shells, and jewelry.

Another view of the credenza. The lamps are vintage finds with Target shades; I gave them a little height by placing them on lucite stands. The giant green foo dogs and I are friends (and they never bark).

A peek into the "bedroom" (on the other side of the IKEA divider). You're lucky - I made the bed today!
After hanging some of my favorite D.C. art, I felt it was a little too traditional and added magazine ads from J.Crew and Kate Spade in IKEA frames. West Elm bedding, vintage Chinese screen, Home Goods sunburst mirror and lamp, and vintage gold bamboo-style table. The lattice accent pillows are Windsor Smith for Kravet, ordered from Etsy. 

The "dining room" and walk-in kitchen.
 The table is a carved bamboo, made in England and found in an antique store; I painted it a high gloss black to match the chairs. The plates are a bit of everything from Tiffany's to Urban Outfitters! Since the kitchen is a part of the living space, I carried the green theme inside with moss topiaries, a vintage tulipiere, and woven baskets and trays to corral clutter.

I hope you enjoyed the tour! This is my first apartment, and I'm having so much fun putting it together. There are more pictures on Apartment Therapy - please go to the site by clicking HERE and vote for Sanity Fair!!! You can also find more images on Pinterest, HERE.
(All images, my own. Please link back to Sanity Fair!)

No comments:

Post a Comment